One of the most serious problems of oil and gas producing and refining companies is the contamination of products with hydrogen sulfide and light mercaptans. Hydrogen sulfide is an explosive and toxic substance, poisoning with which can cause serious damages to respiratory system and nervous system, and in increased in concentration it may even cause death. High corrosiveness of hydrogen causes the failure of equipment and pipelines.
Therefore, hydrogen sulfide control is one of the key safety issues for the operation of oil and gas production and processing facilities. Such solutions for this issue as alkaline washing, oxidation, hydrotreating, and blowing off followed by absorption cleaning are economically viable only at high concentrations of hydrogen sulfide and require large capital expenditures. When the concentrations of hydrogen sulfide are of moderate level of or the object of purification is a complicated one, for example, heavy fuel oil, the most effective solution is to use chemical cleaning methods, that is the use of hydrogen sulfide scavengers (neutralizers). This type of chemicals, when reacting with hydrogen sulfide, binds it irreversibly to form some inert and non-volatile compounds, minimizing its negative impact.
Technologies and chemicals for H2S mitigation in oil and gas production, transportation and refinery:
The choice of H2S scavenger and the technique of its application depends on the medium to be treated, on the initial level of H2S content and the desired level of H2S content in the medium, on the temperature of treatment, and on some other factors.
- Commercial oils purification with formaldehyde free H2S and mercaptans scavenger PS-1.
- H2S and mercaptans elimination at killing of oil and gas wells for maintenance and repair works in cases where wells are complicated with H2S showing with H2S and mercaptans scavengers PS-1, PS-2, PS-3, PS-4, THIOBLOCK grade P.
- Purification of formation waters containing H2S and mercaptans with H2S and mercaptans scavengers PS-1, PS-2, PS-3, PS-4, THIOBLOCK grade P.
- Treatment of bottom waters to be injected into formation with H2S and mercaptans scavengers PS-1, PS-2, PS-3, PS-4, THIOBLOCK grade K.
- Purification of oil-water emulsion (fluids showing oil-gas and water) with formaldehyde free H2S and mercaptans scavenger PS-2.
- Landfill filtrate purification from heavy metals and other foreign matters with a complex chemical -H2S scavenger THIOBLOCK grade K.
- Solid municipal waste flammability reduction with a complex chemical -H2S scavenger THIOBLOCK grade K.